Welcome to Hooked on NZ Books He Ao Ano!
This is a website for young adult (YA) readers all about reviewing and New Zealand books.
It’s where you can become part of a critical conversation.
- How to write a smart, interesting book review
- How to publish your review on this site
- How to collect reviewers’ bookmarks
- How to get a free book to review.
- Our archive of professional reviews of YA titles
- Reviews written by YA readers of recent and classic New Zealand books
Comment and opinion from YA authors, reviewers and readers: To swear or not to swear? Mandy Hager explains why she won’t be deleting Ash’s expletives.
Send us a review, or just a comment, volunteer to interview a YA author or suggest a topic for discussion.
Who are Hooked on NZ Books He Ao Ano?
We’re a group of writers and editors involved with New Zealand Review of Books Pukapuka Aotearoa, which is a print journal devoted to reviewing New Zealand books. We want to know what you think about what you read. Specifically, we want to know what you think about books published in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Anyone can say “I loved this book”, or “I hated that book”, but it’s much harder to say why. Reviewing is important because well-argued reviews can influence what gets published and what gets read. Your voice can make a difference.